Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Blog #1-TELL Framework

When I first read about TELL framework, I loved the introduction about teacher effectiveness.  It stated that research suggests that it is not so much what the teacher knows but what the teacher does in the classroom that maximizes student achievement. Teacher effectiveness is a goal that I will be striving for this semester. I aspire to be a teacher who instructs in such a way that my students can walk out of my classroom and use what they’ve learned in the real world. I want my students to be able to apply their knowledge and show off how much they know inside and outside of the classroom. A few main points I liked in the TELL framework was how it said to use background information about my students learning to inform my approach in section E1-a. Second, I resonated with the LE3-c; helping students see connections among learning experiences. This allows students to build on previous knowledge by helping them make those connections throughout instruction. Building on prior knowledge is part of the philosophy of Dewey’s progressive approach which is part of my own philosophy of education. Lastly, I really liked how TELL included the learning tools section; especially LT2 about incorporating authentic materials. This is important to help build their knowledge of the target language culture.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alicia! What you said reminds me of the saying, "Actions speak louder than words." I agree that when a teacher shows the students how to learn and actively shares with them in the learning process, the student is going to learn so much more. Just like lecturing to students is one of the worst ways to teach, involving the student and making them an active participant in what they are learning is the best way!
    Also, what use is learning if they can't use it in the real world? I totally agree that should be one of the goals. I liked the TELL Framework as well. Are there any ideas about TELL that you didn't support?

    Thanks,
    Caitlin S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love the statement that it's not what a teacher knows but what a teacher does. It's so very true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alicia,

    Well put. What stuck out most to me is your mention of building on prior knowledge. I believe that Spanish is similar to mathematics in the sense that everything builds on top of everything else, so if there is no foundation, then nothing can be constructed mentally. Like we talked about in class, making those connections is crucial for language learners, and it is our job as teachers to get students to strive to make those connections; we want them to be genuinely interested in making those connections. You have an obvious passion for teaching as well, and I believe that will shine throughout your semester as a teacher assistant.

    Saludos,

    Bradford

    ReplyDelete